Self-compassion is about finding a kinder and friendlier way to relate to yourself. Below are some exercises that are aimed at fostering a new, more gentle and loving perspective on your struggles and places in which you get down on yourself. You can right click on the exercises and choose “save files as” to download a copy. Otherwise, you can just click on the meditations to listen to them on your computer.
- Lovingkindness meditation (10 minutes)
- Brief compassion meditation (10 minutes)
- Longer compassion meditation (22 minutes)
Self-compassion meditations from Kristin Neff
- Affectionate Breathing (21 minutes)
- Compassionate Body Scan (24 minutes)
- Loving-Kindness Meditation (20 minutes)
- Noting Your Emotions (18 minutes)
- Soften, Soothe, Allow: Working with Emotions in the Body (15 minutes)
- Self-Compassion Break (5 minutes). The self-compassion break is a favorite among clients because it is so brief and can be practiced informally anytime, anywhere by placing a hand on one’s heart and offering phrases of kindness. You can download the scripthere or view it on Dr. Neff’s website.
Return to main Exercises and Audio Files page.